|Visitsouthernscotland.co.uk 26 Main StreetDalryCastle DouglasScotland, DG7 3UW, GB |
| || |
Patna has been historically linked to the Parish of Straiton but has more in common through its mining origins to Dalmellington. Patna is connected to Dalmellington by two bridges over the River Doon.
Patna's name is derived from William Fullerton of Skeldon's starting open-casting in the early nineteenth century after making his fortune in India with Patna rice.
The nucleus of Patna was created in 1802 when William Fullarton of Skeldon (near Dalrymple) decided to mine the extensive crops of coal in the south part of his estate. William Fullarton's father had worked for the East India Company and William himself was born in Ayrshire. When the workers' houses were built William decided to call the hamlet Patna after the city in India.
Visitsouthernscotland.co.uk is committed to giving only the most up to date and relevant information about our region.
We are currently looking for tourist and accommodation information about this village to be contributed by the community and look forward to displaying it in the near future.
|Copyright © 2013 Visitsouthernscotland.co.uk||26 Main StreetDalryCastle DouglasScotland, DG7 3UW, GB DG7 3UW||Web design by Tourism Doctor|